We use BPOST, DPD and DHL for all our national and international shipments, for both envelopes as packages.
All shipments are securily packed in bubble envelopes or sturdy cardboard boxes.
All articles are shipped in new, sealed condition, unless mentioned otherwise.
All orders made before 16:00 CET will be shipped that same day.
There are no shipments on saturdays, sundays or national holidays.
If you choose saturday delivery, we will hand over your parcel to BPOST for a timed delivery on saturday. Should you not receive your parcel on saturday, please let us know so we can refund the surcharge.
All shipments of parcels and letters inside BENELUX are delivered within 24 hours 99% of the time. The other 1% will be delivered within 48 hours.
If your order hasn't arrived within 5 days, please let us know so we can investigate the delay.
|Parcel <2kg||€ 4,99||€ 9,40
|Parcel 2-10kg||€ 5,30
||€ 15,00||€ 20,00|
|Parcel 10-20kg||€ 7,50
|Parcel 20-30kg||€ 7,50
||€ 16,95||€ 12,29
||€ 12,70||€ 24,00
|Insurance||+ € 1,21||+ €1,82||+ €1,82||+ €1,82||+ €2,00||+ €5,00|
|Saturday Delivery||+ € 2,42||-||-||-||-||-|
|Delivery time||<24h||48h||48h||2-3 Business Days||3-5 Business Days||5-10 Business Days|
Please see BPOST's website for more information.
Should you receive a damaged or incomplete shipment, please contact us as soon as possible so we can organise a replacement.
We treat all inquiries within 24 hours except during weekends.
We strongly recommend using insured shipping methods for all orders.
This costs 1 to 1,5 euros but ensures a refund for damaged or lost goods within 72 hours.
Shipments sent without insurance that get lost or damaged are not insured and you run the risk of not receiving any refund for any loss or damage of goods and processing any claims will generally take around 30 days.